Friday, September 19, 2008

Deep Scottish Love (not ever an illegal substance)

having been and returned and slept I think i have more perspective then I did before.

The Highlands are the impeachable majesty of Scotland, the most endurable legacy to their fierce pride that chafes in the memory of generations of Scots. One day- not today or tomorrow- but someday they will walk away from the UK. Its so different in Scotland- none of the polyethnic hybridization that cartwheels through Britain. I dont think I've ever been so concious of absence and it was unnerving.

Having said that I would cheerfully walk forever through the heathered hills. I love sing a longs, even in tiny hostel bars as much as i love wee scottish discotechques full of balding men in pageboy caps that close at 1 am. I want to go down face first in a faerie brook and come out bubbling the other side. if i ever go again, im going hiking in the summer and im swimming in the loch ness.

Don't think I'd ever do a group tour like that again, but thats more my fault then their's. i can get excited by white horses but ill never care (yes that was code). But i know i can do it on my own now, which is more important to me then anything else. as long as i have one friend in this world I can go it alone

Also Edinburgh is the most tiny toy like urban center I have ever seen. Also Sticky Toffee Pudding is worth every ounce of fat that drips down the sides. Shortbread and Oatcakes to see you on your way.

NEXT STOP IRELAND!

No comments: